Dotsevi Y. Sogah
Research in Professor Sogah’s group covers the design and synthesis of new polymers, preparation of protein-based polymers and application of living polymerization methods to surface functionalization of nanoparticles and carbon nanotubes.
Professor Sogah and group's interest lies in the development of cost-effective, one-pot chemistry that uses cationic, anionic, free radical, and step-growth polymerizations in an orthogonal fashion. This approach relies on a multifunctional initiator containing initiating sites for each method and has led to the synthesis of novel functional macromonomers. In living free-radical polymerization, they are investigating novel functionalized nitroxyl radicals that operate at lower temperatures and can tolerate a broad scope of monomers. In their continuing studies of GTP, they are probing control of stereochemistry and regio-chemistry using cyclopolymerization, chiral monomers and initiators.
- Winningham, M. J.; Sogah, D. Y. A modular approach to polymer architecture control via catenation of prefabricated biomolecular segments. Polymers containing parallel beta-sheets templated by a phenoxathiin-based reverse turn mimic. Macromolecules 1997, 30, 862.
- Puts, R. D.; Sogah, D. Y. Universal multifunctional initiator containing orthogonal reactive sites. Synthesis of macromonomers and comb polymers using consecutive controlled free radical and cationic ring-opening polymerizations. Macromolecules 1997, 30, 7050.
- Weimer, M. W.; Scherman, O. A.; Sogah, D. Y. Multifunctional initiators containing orthogonal sites. One-pot, one-step, block copolymerization by simultaneous free radical and either cationic ring-opening or anionic ring-opening polymerizations. Macromolecules 1998, 31.
- Puts, R. D.; Sogah, D. Y. Cationic ring-opening cyclopolymerization of bis(oxazolines). Synthesis of chiral polymers containing pendent heteromacrocycles. Macromolecules 1997, 30, 6826.
- Zheng, S.; Sogah, D. Y. Highly isotactic optically active methacrylate polymers by free radical cyclopolymerization. Tetrahedron 1997, 53, 15469.
- Puts, R. D.; Chao, J.; Sogah, D. Y. Novel biaryl bis(oxazolines). Synthesis 1997, 431.
- Puts, R. D.; Sogah, D. Y. Control of living free radical polymerization by a new chiral nitroxide and implications for the polymerization mechanism. Macromolecules 1996, 29, 3323.
- Nakano, T., Sogah, D. Y. Toward control of stereochemistry in GTP by a rational monomer design. Cyclopolymerization of 2,2'-bis(methacryloylxymethyl)-1,1'-binaphthyl. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 1995, 117, 534.
- Shen, J., Sogah, D. Y. Novel alternating copolymers of controlled sequence. Regiochemical control in aldol group transfer polymerization of substituted (butadienyloxy)trialkylsilanes. Macromolecules 1994, 27, 6996.