Credit Transfers

The Best Advice: Get Approval Before Taking the Course!

Applications are generally reviewed on a monthly basis during the academic year as long as time permits. Please allow up to four weeks of review time. 

Students seeking approval for Summer 2023 courses:  applications should be submitted before May 5th,  2023, to assure enough time for review.

Students seeking approval for Fall 2023 courses:  applications should be submitted before  August 1st,  2023, to assure enough time for review.

1. Before You Take the Course, Please Check the Following:

  • It is offered at a 4-year institution
  • The institution resides within the United States (If the institution resides outside of the United States, you must answer all "optional" questions in the Department of Chemistry Transfer Credit Application)
  • The institution is on the list of ACS-Certified Programs
  • The course can be used towards the ACS accredited degree at the host institution
  • For CHEM 1560, 2070, 2080, 2090 or 2510 credit: the course has a lab component. Labs must be taken in person.

    Applying for Credit Transfer:

2. After You've Completed the Course

        Submit the following items to your college’s registrar office:

  • Your home college's application for credit from other institutions (Example: an Arts & Science student would complete the College of Arts and Sciences Application for Credit from Other Institutions)
  • Attach the email from CHEM approving your credit transfer request to your college's application, this will serve as department approval.
  • Obtain and submit an official transcript from the institution where you completed the course to your home college registrar’s office. A minimum grade of a “C” is required to receive credit.

3. Special Circumstances

  • We do not grant transfer credit for Cornell honors courses: CHEM 2150, 3590, or 3600.
  • Chemistry majors seeking transfer credit for courses outside of chemistry for distribution or pre-requisite requirements should contact the specific department at Cornell for approval transfer credit.
  • If you would like to take a course at a foreign institution, you must review the checklist in the Cornell Chemistry Department's Memorandum: Receiving Cornell chemistry course credit for a chemistry course taken elsewhere and submit an application before taking the course.

Direct all questions regarding credit transfer to: