You are here
Howard Milstein Faculty Fellow and Assistant Professor
Innovation and applications of novel tools to interrogate cell signaling; Mechanisms of proteins/pathways involved in genome protection and drugs that tap into these pathways. Please visit our lab website for more information.
Selected Honors: Beckman Young Investigator (2014); NSF CAREER (2014); NIH Director's New Innovator (2014); Sloan Fellowship (2016); American Chemical Society CRT Young Investigator (2016); American Chemical Society WCC Rising Star Chemist (2016); International Chemical Biology Society Rising Star Chemical Biologist (2016); Office of Naval Research Young Investigator (2017); Pershing Square Sohn Prize in Cancer Research (2017); American Chemical Society Buck-Whitney Award (2017)
- Chemistry and Chemical Biology
- Biochemistry, Molecular and Cell Biology
- Chemistry and Chemical Biology
- Weill Cornell Medicine, Department of Biochemistry
The Aye Lab (established: July 2012) exploits a unique blend of chemical biology methods development, mechanistic biochemistry, mammalian cell biology as in vitro research toolkit and worm and fish as in vivo models.
From the Aye Lab (est. July 2012)
Yi Zhao, Marcus J. C. Long, Yiran Wang, Sheng Zhang, and Yimon Aye* "Ube2V2 is a Rosetta Stone bridging redox and ubiquitin codes, coordinating DNA damage responses"
ACS Central Science 2018 4, 246–259
Problems and Paradigms
Jesse R. Poganik, Marcus J. C. Long, and Yimon Aye* "Getting the message? Native reactive electrophiles pass two out of three thresholds to be bona fide signaling mediators"
BioEssays 2018 Just Accepted (doi:10.1002/bies.201700240)
Sanjna L. Surya, Marcus J. C. Long, Daniel A. Urul, Yi Zhao, Emily J. Mercer, Islam M. Elsaid, Todd Evans, and Yimon Aye* "Cardiovascular small heat shock protein HSPB7 is a kinetically-privileged RES sensor"
ACS Chemical Biology 2018 Just Accepted (doi: 10.1021/acschembio)
* Invited contribution to "Biosensors" special issue
Alexandra Van Hall-Beauvais, Yi Zhao, Daniel A. Urul, Marcus J. C. Long, and Yimon Aye* "Single-protein-specific redox targeting in live mammalian cells and C. elegans"
Current Protocols in Chemical Biology 2018 Just Accepted (doi:10.1002/cpch.43)
Marcus J. C. Long, Daniel A. Urul, Shivansh Chawla, Hong-Yu Lin, Yi Zhao, Joseph A. Haegele, Yiran Wang, and Yimon Aye* "Precision Electrophile Tagging in Caenorhabditis elegans"
Biochemistry 2018 57, 216–220
* Invited contribution to "Future of Biochemistry" special issue
* Selected as an ACS Editors' Choice article.
Marcus J. C. Long, Hong-Yu Lin, Saba Parvez, Yi Zhao, Jesse R. Poganik, Paul Huang, and Yimon Aye* "β-TrCP1 is a Vacillatory Regulator of Wnt Signaling"
Cell Chemical Biology 2017 24, 944–957
Marcus J. C. Long, and Yimon Aye* "Privileged Electrophile Sensors: a Resource for Covalent Drug Development"
Cell Chemical Biology 2017 24, 787–800
Marcus J. C. Long, Saba Parvez, Yi Zhao, Yiran Wang, Sanjna L. Surya, and Yimon Aye* "Akt3 is a Privileged First Responder in Isozyme-Specific Electrophile Response"
Nature Chemical Biology 2017 13, 333–338
*Highlighted for “News & Views”: Nature Chemical Biology 2017 13, 244–245
Marcus J. C. Long, Souradyuti Ghosh, Jesse R. Poganik, and Yimon Aye* “Subcellular Redox Targeting: Bridging in Vitro and in Vivo Chemical Biology.”
ACS Chemical Biology 2017 12, 586–600
Saba Parvez, Marcus J. C. Long, Hong-Yu Lin, Yi Zhao, Joseph A. Haegele, Vanha N. Pham, Dustin K. Lee, and Yimon Aye* “T-REX™ On-Demand Redox Targeting in Live Cells”
Nature Protocols 2016 11, 2328–2356
Marcus J. C. Long, and Yimon Aye* “The Die is Cast: Precision Electrophilic Modifications Contribute to Cellular Decision Making”
ACS Chem Res Toxicol 2016 29, 1575–1582
* Contributed as part of 2016 ACS CRT Young Investigator Award to Y.A.
* Selected as an ACS Editors' Choice article.
* Selected for Journal Cover Art.
Somsinee Wisitpatthaya, Yi Zhao, Marcus J. C. Long, Minxing Li, William A. Blessing, Elaine A. Fletcher, Robert S. Weiss, and Yimon Aye* “Antileukemic Nucleotides Induce Conformationally Distinct Hexamers Defining a Common Mode of Reversible RNR Inhibition”
ACS Chemical Biology 2016 11, 2021–2032
Marcus J. C. Long, Jesse R. Poganik, and Yimon Aye* “On-Demand Targeting: Investigating Biology with Proximity-Directed Chemistry”
J Am Chem Soc 2016, 138, 3610–3622
*Selected as a JACS Spotlights Article – 2016, 138, 4269
* The ACS LiveSlides Open Access Article
Hong-Yu Lin, Joseph A. Haegele, Michael T. Disare, and Yimon Aye* “A Generalizable Platform for Interrogating Target- and Signal-Specific Consequences of Electrophilic Modifications in Redox-Dependent Cell Signaling”
J Am Chem Soc (Full Article) 2015, 137, 6232–6244
Saba Parvez, Yuan Fu, Jiayang Li, Marcus J. C. Long, Hong-Yu Lin, Dustin K. Lee, Gene S. Hu and Yimon Aye* “Substoichiometric Hydroxynonenylation of a Single Protein Recapitulates Whole-Cell-Stimulated Antioxidant Response”
J Am Chem Soc (Communication) 2015, 137, 10–13
Yimon Aye*, Minxing Li, Marcus J. C. Long and Robert Weiss* (*, co-corresponding authors) “Ribonucleotide Reductase & Cancer: Biological Mechanisms & Targeted Therapies”
Oncogene (Mini Review) 2015, 34, 2011
Yuan Fu, Hong-Yu Lin, Somsinee Wisitpitthaya, William A. Blessing and Yimon Aye* “A Fluorimetric Readout Reporting the Inhibitor-Induced Human Ribonucleotide Reductase Oligomerization”
ChemBioChem (Full Article) 2014, 15, 2598–2604
Yuan Fu, Marcus J. C. Long, Mike Rigney, Saba Parvez, William A. Blessing and Yimon Aye* “Uncoupling of Allosteric and Oligomeric Regulation in a Functional Hybrid Enzyme Constructed from Escherichia coli and Human Ribonucleotide Reductase”
Biochemistry (Full Article) 2013, 52, 7050–7059
Xinqiang Fang, Yuan Fu, Marcus J. C. Long, Joseph A. Haegele, Eva J. Ge, Saba Parvez and Yimon Aye* “Temporally Controlled Targeting of 4-Hydroxynonenal to Specific Proteins in Living Cells”
J Am Chem Soc (Communication) 2013, 135, 14496–14499
Postdoctoral (Aug 2009 - June 2012)
- “Mechanistic Studies of Semicarbazone Triapine® Targeting on Ribonucleotide Reductase in Vitro and in Mammalian Cells: Tyrosyl Radical Quenching Not Involving Reactive Oxygen Species” Yimon Aye, Marcus J. C. Long and JoAnne Stubbe* J Biol Chem 2012, 287, 35768.
- “Clofarabine Targets the Large Subunit (a) of Human Ribonucleotide Reductase in Live Cells by Assembly into Persistent Hexamers” Yimon Aye, Edward J. Brignole, Marcus J. C. Long, Johnathan Chitturulu, Catherine L. Drennan, Francisco J. Asturias, and JoAnne Stubbe* Chem Biol 2012, 19, 799.
- “Clofarabine 5´-Di and –Triphosphates Inhibit Human Ribonucleotide Reductase by Altering the Quaternary Structure of its Large Subunit” Yimon Aye and JoAnne Stubbe* Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2011 direct submission, 108, 9815.
Predoctoral (Jan 2005 - Jun 2009)
Independent review article:
- “Vinyl-, Propargyl- and Allenylsilicon Reagents in Asymmetric Synthesis: Relatively Untapped Resource of Environmentally-Benign Reagents” Marcus J. Curtis-¬Long and Yimon Aye*; Chemistry, A European Journal 2009, 15, 5402.
- “Structural Report for Sc[(R,R)-norephedrine-pybox](OTf)3 Dimeric Complex” Richard J. Staples* and Yimon Aye; Journal of Chemical Crystallography 2008, 38, 49.
- “Aluminum-catalyzed Enantio- and Diastereoselective Carbonyl Addition of Propargylsilanes. A New Approach to Enantioenriched Vinyl Epoxides” David A. Evans* and Yimon Aye; Journal of the American Chemical Society 2007, 129, 9606.
- “Enantioselective Scandium-catalyzed Vinylsilane Additions: A New Approach to the Synthesis of β,γ-Unsaturated α-Amino Acid Derivatives” David A. Evans* and Yimon Aye; Journal of the American Chemical Society 2006, 128, 11034.
- “Asymmetric, Anti–selective Scandium-catalyzed Sakurai Additions to Glyoxamide. Applications to the Syntheses of N-Boc- D-Alloisoleucine and D-Isoleucine” David A. Evans*, Yimon Aye and Jimmy Wu; Organic Letters 2006, 8, 2071.
- “Copper-catalyzed Asymmetric Conjugate Reduction as a Route to Novel β-Azaheterocyclic Acid Derivatives” Matthew P. Rainka, Yimon Aye and Stephen L. Buchwald*; Proceedings to the National Academy of Sciences USA, 2004, 101, 5821.