The DiSalvo Group synthesizes, characterizes, and tests nanoscale materials for possible application to new energy systems. Such materials include solid state oxides, nitrides, or intermetallic compounds. Possible applications are catalysts or catalyst supports for fuel cells or electrodes for batteries.
- Synthesis and characterization of solid state compounds
- Discover and understand materials with novel crystal structures and/or new or enhanced properties
- Physical properties, such as electrical resistivity, thermal conductivity, thermopower, Hall effect and magnetic susceptibility, as well as selected chemical properties, such as electrochemical behavior, are examined and compared to properties expected on the basis of electronic structure calculations or similarity to known compounds
Awards and Distinctions
- American Physical Society International Prize for New Materials
- National Academy of Sciences